Get your fix of Netpix and Netflix in this six mix! In this sixth episode of the Netpix Podcast, we discuss Netflix’s new handling of data usage in Canada, Paramount’s recent deal with Netflix.ca, and Facebook’s addition of more streamable films. We then check out A Prophet, Restrepo, Exam, and Hoodwinked. It’s our sixiest episode yet!
– Netflix lowers Canadian data usage by two thirds:
Now Canadians can watch 30 hours of streaming from Netflix in a month that will consume only 9 GBytes of data, well below most data caps.
They created three settings:
1. “Good” – The default setting with good picture quality and lowest data use per hour (about 0.3 GBytes/hour)
2. “Better” – Better picture quality and medium data use per hour (about 0.7 GBytes/hour)
3. “Best” – Best picture quality and highest date use per hour (generally about 1.0 GBytes/hour – or up to 2.3 GBytes/hour when streaming HD content)
- Netflix.ca signs a contract with Paramount to distribute its movies, excluding the traditional Canadian broadcasters CBC and CTV, beginning with Iron Man 2.
- The Facebook experiment continues! Facebook is expanding its list of streamable films to include Inception, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Life as We Know It, and (sigh) Yogi Bear.
: Available on Netflix.com : Available on Netflix.ca